BIGtheme.net http://bigtheme.net/ecommerce/opencart OpenCart Templates
Home / Gemstones / Diamonds – What Makes Them So Special?
Diamonds, what makes them so special.
Diamonds, what makes them so special.

Diamonds – What Makes Them So Special?

It is said that diamonds are timeless. What is it about this precious stone that makes it so special? First this gemstone’s hardness and high dispersion of light makes it useful for jewelry and industrial applications. It is popularly used for engagement rings since the early to mid 1900’s. The De Beers Company was responsible for advertising diamonds during that time. However it is believed that diamonds were used for engagement rings since the 15th century.

Diamonds are graded accordingly based on the four C’s; carat, cut, color and clarity. Diamonds are measured in carats. Carat weight measures the mass of a diamond. One carat is equivalent to 200 milligrams. Therefore when purchasing diamonds, the price per carat increases depending on the carat weight. Clarity is the measure of a diamond’s imperfections. These internal defects are referred to as inclusions. Inclusions can refer to cracks in the diamond that appear whitish or cloudy, or other crystals of foreign material. Only about 20% of diamonds mined have a high enough clarity rating to be considered for use as a gemstone. The other 80% of diamonds are then used for industrial purposes. Find quality diamonds are usually colorless and graded as “D” in the global market. A perfect diamond is transparent with no hue or color. However this is very uncommon as most diamonds are not absolutely perfect. Most often diamond cut is confused with shape. Diamond cutting is the art or creating a quality gem out of a rough stone. In diamond cutting there are guidelines to be followed for the diamond to reflect the maximum amount of light.

Keeping your diamonds clean is necessary to maintain its beautiful sparkle. This isn’t an easy task since diamonds easily gather grease from daily use. This creates a film of dirt which will make your diamond appear dull and lifeless. It’s best to clean your diamonds regularly by soaking it in an ammonia based house cleaner overnight. After a good soaking, be sure to brush off any dirt using a soft brush to avoid scratching the surface of your diamond. Make sure not to miss the back portion of your diamond as this collects the most dirt. After brushing off all the dirt, rinse your diamond with water and dry it off with a soft cloth. Doing this once or twice a week will keep your diamonds looking beautiful. Be cautious not to use toothpaste or any solutions that have chlorine when cleaning your diamonds.

Diamonds are a great gift idea for different occasions. There are some famous diamonds that can be found in the market place. However before buying diamonds, it is best to educate yourself. Learn how to compare diamonds based on its value and beauty. Also before deciding on what to purchase, compare prices with other retailers. You must also check the vendor’s credentials, to avoid any problems. Always buy from a trusted vendor. If buying online, be very careful. Check for previous customers feedback and also if the vendor is affiliated or associated with professional and public organizations. Finally when buying diamonds, make sure it comes with a grading report from an independent and reputable laboratory.

About Birthstones Months

Birthstones Months

Birthstones Months offers information about which birthstone corresponds to each month of the year. If you are looking to find out what is your birthstone then Birthstones Months can help! We also offer info about gemstones, chakras and other mystical matters.

2 comments

  1. Just wanted to say thanks for the birthstone bracelet recommendation on your blog, it was for my niece for her birthday! I am so pleased with it, and she just loves it!! Thank you so much!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *