What is the Birthstone for July?
The July Birthstone is Ruby.
The July birthstone, like all others, has many stones it can call its own. Fortunately, this month’s stones are not as confusing as most of the other months’ stones are. Out of the four main official birthstone lists, which are traditional, modern, mystical and Ayurvedic, there are only three separate stones associated with July birthdays: ruby, onyx and turquoise.
Ruby is the most well known July birthstone because it is the official stone for three of the four lists except for the traditional birthstone list, which is where onyx and turquoise come into play. Most people adore the ruby, which is just another reason many choose it as the stone they want to wear, but in reality, the majority of lists refer to the ruby as being the official birthstone for July.
Other Birthstones For July
Choosing your birthstone based on your zodiac sign is another way to find the right gemstone. For those who have a birthday before the 22nd of July, your birthstone is emerald whereas those who have a birthday between the 23rd and the 31st have a July birthstone of onyx. Either way, choosing a birthstone will depend on both your preferences and the list you want to choose from. Choosing a birthstone and then wearing it to see if it 'feels' right is a method that works for many people.
Traditional Uses of Ruby
Wearing the July birthstone ruby, is said to promote a feeling of freedom from feelings of anxiety and doubtfulness. Many associate the ruby as being the most helpful to those in relationships whether personal or professional because it helps to lessen feelings of doubt and frustration.
Rubies are the stones associated with royalty. It has been associated with nobility and virtue since the earliest times. Ancients believed it to be more valuable and desirable than diamonds, leading to stories of Kubla Khan offering a city in exchange for a ruby and the Biblical quote about a virtuous woman being worth more than rubies.
There are many different benefits to rubies, and those who are interested in using gems to increase their energy and health are advised to consider using rubies to improve the quality of their life.
Some of the Metaphysical Properties of Ruby
• Rubies stimulate the base chakra - Rubies stimulate the base chakra and increase the vitality and chi of the person wearing the ruby. This increased life-force energy stimulates the physical body and helps stimulate the spiritual essence.
• Promotes a clear mind, concentration and motivation - The clarity brought by rubies is well-known and well-documented. Rubies are often used in divination, which promotes clarity of understanding. This works for goals and for divining the future.
• Promotes self-confidence - Rubies have long been associated with higher confidence levels in the wearer. They provide a sense of vitality and confidence that leads to energy and adventure. They are associated with adventurous activities.
• Increases desire and sexual energy - Rubies, due to their association with passion, fire and energy are well known to be beneficial in the relationship and sexual health realm. The fire and energy of the ruby is said to increase the desire of the wearer and make them more sexually potent.
• Symbolizes passionate love and commitment - Rubies, perhaps due to their association with energy and sexual energies, are often associated with passionate love and commitment. In the past, rubies were considered the best jewel for marriages and weddings. They are often worn against the heart chakra to increase the amount of passionate love and commitment the wearer feels and incites in others.
• Star rubies have additional healing properties - Star rubies are good for healing of physical maladies, especially for those whose physical maladies are associated with energy issues. Fatigue is one of the most common issues that are addressed and corrected with the use of star rubies.
• Star rubies are associated with magical power - Especially during the full moon, star rubies are associated with stronger magical powers. Magic practitioners use star rubies to increase the potency of their spells and incantations.